In no particular order (no order of preference anyway), here are 10 bands to sort out that plague of absurdity and ill-advised impulse buys you tragically refer to as a record collection. Only joking, I know opinions are like arseholes and everyones got one but some people pay more attention to their arses than others…if you see what I mean…? Moving swiftly on.
1) Sister Mantos – Tough Love or The Fands of Hate (sweetheart society records) – It’s beuatifully psychedelic, androgynous performance art house techno and it is so much better than your shit band it actuallly pains me to think of it. Here’s two tracks to check out:
If all music was this liberating I would sleep a lot better at nights.
2) Cold Body Radiation – The Great White Emptiness. Phenomenally good ambient/shoegaze/black metal band. It’s a bit like Jesu only colder and less repetitive, and at times far more extreme. the blast beat parts on this are not what you’d expect. Awesome stuff. The band describe it as “a depressive study on the nature of light” and that would sound about right if saying that didn’t make you sound like a wanker.
3) Gonjasufi – A Sufi and A Killer (warp records).
Head and shoulders above 90% of songwriters out there at the minute, this is one part hip-hop to one part folk, with indian, garage punk and general weirdness thrown in for good measure. One of the best voices around, full of soul and grit, no two songs the same.
4) Zola Jesus – all 3 releases.
Mesmerising is a word all too often used to describe utter shite like coldplay or some other such arena rock nonsense by lazy journalists in the mail on sunday, but in the case of Zola Jesus you realise why the word can have special meaning when applied to music. A classically trained opera singer, Nika Rosa Danilova is making music of an otherwordly quality that hasn’t been seen on earth for far too long. This music works in exactly the same way great albums like Disintegration or Loveless do, by grabbing you by the heart strings and wrapping you in wave after wave of lush dense sound. Once it’s got you, its not likely letting go.
5) Health – all 3 releases.
So many people seem to have skipped this band, so I’m putting them on the list. Certainly among the cream of the crop of the LA based new psychedelic sect, this is truly future pop and needs attention from fucking everyone.
6) White Mice – Blasstphlegmice (Load)
Any of the White Mice albums will do really. Now, you’ve heard noise. You’ve heard grind. You’ve seen mice. But if you havn’t heard noise-grind played by giant mice in laboratory coats, you’ve heard FUCK ALL. 😉
7) Abortion – Murdered Culture.
This lot are grindcore but done with a ton of ’77 and pop influences. It’s FUN. so fucking listen to it.
8) WarCollapse – Defy!
When you take crust punk and mix it with proper rock n roll grooves and add in lyrics about smoking weed, you make me your fan for life.
9) Pens – Hey friend What you doing?
All girl lo-fi garage pop-punk with shitty keyboards from London. You know what this is all about, but they do it so well and with so little you’ll fall in love with it and wonder why you don’t have a band of your own.
10) The Cure – everything robert smith ever shat out, even the times he didnt mean to press record.
They’re my favourite band, I’m ALWAYS listening to them a lot 😉
Right, nice one! I’ll probably do another one of these at some point, not soon though. Till then, I present you, the shocking and appalling truth.